I've been noticing lately how many people are still drinking out of plastic water bottles and not yet comfortable drinking tap water. In NYC (where I live), tap water is known to be safe so New Yorkers, put down the plastic!
First off, drinking tap water is so much better for the planet than buying bottled. If you aren't sure how safe your tap water is, start with a visit to the Environmental Working Group's website to see how your state's water rates. You will find out a ton of useful information about possible contaminants which will allow you to buy a filtration system accordingly. If your water gets good marks and your biggest concern is the omnipresent chlorine (added to keep the water from picking up contaminants as it travels through municipal pipes), try filling a pitcher and letting it sit, uncovered, on the counter overnight. The chlorine will evaporate - and later, when you stash it in the fridge a (covered) pitcher of water saves energy by helping to regulate temperature. That alone will not only cut down on the cost of buying bottled water BUT will also help you save electricity, lower your monthly overhead a touch.
If you are debating a water filtration system for your home, here are some facts that might help you make a quicker decision.
- A system will help filter over 500 dangerous contaminants from your water including bacteria, mercury, lead, arsenic and chlorine (to name a few).
- You are protecting yourself from getting sick from bacteria and chemicals in your water.
- Your children will not be at risk for developing mental or physical problems caused by lead poisoning.
- You will have taken steps to protect yourself and family from heart disease, cancer, gastrointestinal illness and even death caused by bacteria, heavy metals and minerals.
- Your water will have no odor, be cloudy or smell and will not leave rust stains on fixtures or clothing.
General principal states that you should drink eight 8-ounce glasses of water a day. With those nutritional guidelines, find a way to make water affordable and safe to drink at home. Come on, you are a Spirited Woman, you can do this!